WHO WE ARE
OUR MISSION AND VISION
The UK Centre for Animal Law (A-law) is an organisation of lawyers, as well as scientists, campaigners and others interested in protecting animals through the law. The charity promotes interest in animal law and provides a hub of legal expertise, education and resources to improve the law protecting animal interests.
Our mission is to:
- promote knowledge and education about the law relating to animal protection,
- achieve a better legal framework for animals and
- see existing laws being applied properly.
Our vision is a world where animal interests are adequately protected by law.
HOW WE FULFILL OUR OBJECTIVES
Strategic support for long term gains
In fulfilling our objective to promote knowledge and understanding of the laws protecting animals, we can help individuals, animal charities and campaign groups produce long term gains for animals. A-law's role in providing this strategic level of support is valuable and unique in the UK.
We fulfill our objectives by:
- Publishing the The UK Journal of Animal Law, containing academic articles, news and case reports about animal law, ethics and policy.
- Publishing a free eMagazine, Animal Justice UK, containing information about animal law and policy with particular relevance to the university community.
- Providing support and information exchange for lawyers engaged or interested in animal law and the welfare of animals.
- Running a Student Group, which supports students interested in animal law, including through a nationwide essay competition, careers and other events.
- Working with legal academics to promote the study of animal law as a distinct discipline within universities.
- Providing low cost, accessible training to lawyers, animal charities and campaign groups through our team of legal volunteers.
- Disseminating information about animal law through our website and factsheets.
A-law is not predominately a campaigning organisation, but it does monitor developments in Parliament and in European and other international organisations and (subject to capacity) highlights areas in need of reform. Where there is specific concern about legal policy or the way in which the law is being applied, we do occasionally raise these issues. For example, in making submissions about inadequate sentencing levels for cases of intentional abuse of animals.
A-LAW'S ROLE IN FACILITATING LEGAL HELP
A-law also has a role in coordinating the provision of strategic legal assistance through its team of legal volunteers. A-law facilitates this by providing a medium for lawyers and academics to help animal protection groups by:
- Providing free legal assistance to support specific projects (such as the Brexit Animal Welfare Manifesto).
- Helping animal groups understand any legal consequences of Government proposals, such as reforms of licensing laws for animal establishments.
- Contributing to legal training courses and events on animal law and ancillary areas of campaign and media law.
Membership is open to anyone who shares our vision and mission to improve animal protection through the law. Our members also have different views on the wide ranging topics that animal law encompasses from farming animal welfare to the use of animals in sport and entertainment. We work inclusively to ensure as far as possible that everyone who wants to contribute has an opportunity to do so in their own way.
Follow us on social media
If you are interested in legal developments which affect animals, do follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram to get daily news and information about legal campaigns, events, legal decisions affecting animals and government proposals about animal law.
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
We rely upon membership income and donations. Please join us or donate and support our work.